The client requested that Integrated Sustainability conduct a water risk assessment that included the evaluation of source water, water use, and associated water-related risks in relation to its operations and anticipated developments.
The goals of this project were to:
- Evaluate available source(s) of water to support current and future operations.
- Identify suitable water disposal intervals or options to guard against un-necessary business interruption, where applicable.
- Ensure long-term viability and reliability of water supply sources and waste disposal zones.
- Assess water re-use/recycling, water storage, and transmission to optimize levels of infrastructure centralization and effectively utilize hub and grid opportunities.
- Maximize the net benefit of recycling and re-use opportunities
- Identify potential collaboration opportunities.
- Create best practices for water sourcing in a manner that acknowledges other water-reliant activities in the area of influence while being protective of environmental flows, aquatics and fisheries, and other dependent ecosystems.
Integrated Sustainability Consultants conducted a Water Security Assessment for a SAGD operator, including risk & opportunity identification, approximate costs, and rough timelines. The Water Security Assessment identified:
- Available source(s) of water to support current and future project phases;
- Suitable water disposal options to guard against business interruption;
- Long-term viability and reliability of water sources and disposal zones;
- Water sourcing and disposal operations that acknowledge other activities in the area of influence, while being protective of the environment;
- Prevailing or developing water management policies and frameworks for the oil sands region that could affect project success; and
- Alignment between provincial and corporate goals regarding sustainability and footprint reduction.
ESG Project Benefits:
- Sustainable water management strategy