As of 2 January 2018, the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) rolled out the new Alberta Wetland Policy (the Policy) in the Green Area and as of June 1, 2018, wetland applications are no longer accepted under the Interim Wetland Policy (1993). It is expected that authorizations under the Water Act, Public Lands Act, and Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act (EPEA) will contain approval conditions related to the Policy. As of May 15, 2018, the Policy is fully implemented in Alberta.
A quick review by our wetland specialists can ensure that wetlands are identified and planned for in the early the stages of a project, which can help to avoid roadblocks later on in the project lifecycle. Examples of activities that may require a Wetland Assessment include vegetation clearing, geotechnical holes, wells, facilities, pipelines, and reservoirs. Timelines for wetland authorizations under the Water Act can range from ~1 day to >6 months depending on triggers.
• Preliminary Siting (Wetland Scoping)
• Wetland Identification and Delineation
• Wetland Assessments (including ABWRET-A)
• Wetland Application Development and Submission
• WAIF (Wetland Assessment & Impact Form)
• WAIR (Wetland Assessment & Impact Report)
• Wetland Replacement
• Regulatory Support (AER/AEP)
• Hydrology and Hydrogeological Support
• Permanency Assessments
• Species Surveys